International Institute of Islamic Medicine (IIIM)
Islamic Medical Association of North America (IMANA) mandated the formation of IIIM at an extra ordinary Council meeting of its Executive in Orlando Florida, in 1992.
The purpose, for which IIIM was formed, was to collect, collate, catalogue, annotate, research and disseminate information about the History of Islamic Medicine (HIM). Islamic Medicine was the Medicine that developed and was practiced during the Islamic period of Civilization. IIIM was also to research and publicize the multitudinous contributions that Islamic Medicine made to the development of Modern Medicine.
Since 1992 IIIM has:
- Held two national and five international conferences on History of Islamic Medicine (click Conferences).
- Published and encouraged numerous articles on subjects related to Islamic Medicine and published them in national and International journals (click Articles).
- Undertaken translation of pertinent works to enhance our knowledge of the subject (click Translations).
- Encouraged research into the subject by providing grants and scholarship (click Scholarships).
- Has gathered and housed a unique and a special collections Library, on the subject of History of Islamic Medicine (click Library).
- Created a traveling exhibit on History of Islamic Medicine (HIM), which has exhibited in cities nationally and internationally, disseminating information and increasing awareness about the subject (click Exhibits).
- Published monographs and occasional papers for distribution (click Medicine in Islam, Prophetic Medicine etc).
- Created a dynamic interactive website for reference, research and interactive exchange of information on the subject (www.iiim.org).
- Is developing a curriculum for Medical schools for courses on History of Islamic Medicine (click curriculum and courses).
- Has a proposal for the design and construction of a Museum and Library of History of Islamic Medicine. (click Museum and Library of HIM).